The THMCEC now has an email newsletter Subscription Service available.
Use this link to Subscribe or do so via the “Subscribe to Newsletter” menu item which may be moved later Geez things are getting cramped up there.
Newsletters have generally been made available to the Public via a download link on the website and will continue to be made available by that method. We will also continue to use some of the newsletter content as featured articles on the website – fresh is best and we get some great articles out to more of the public.
Some members, however, prefer to have the newsletter sent by email instead of downloading it. With this new service you now have control over your own subscription. You can choose to unsubscribe, change your own email address and choose whether to receive the email in html or plain text format. Note that if you choose to receive the Newsletter email in plain text then that doesn’t support the attachment of the newsletter itself. We have that covered and you will be able to download the newsletter via a link in the email. If your email reader supports html we encourage you, however, to subscribe in that format. We have set the default subscription choice to html.
By using this software service the club has a much reduced effort in maintaining an up to date list of email addresses for Newsletter Subscriptions.
We have this software installed just for us. Nobody else has access to it and we won’t use your email address for any other purposes or hand it out or sell the list. We might, however, add you to this list internally if you already get the Newsletter by email. We’d prefer you to sign up yourself so you set your password.
For those that are reading this and choose to have the Newsletter sent via snail mail we encourage you to sign up for the email subscription and cancel the snail mail newsletter. This helps out the club by reducing the time and effort required to print and get these newsletters out. If you are “connected” and prefer to read the Newsletter away from your computer then printers are cheap and think of all the wonderful things you can do with it and what a delightful artistic ornament it will make in your house – especially if it has cables everywhere.
When you subscribe you will receive a confirmation email with a link you need to use verify your subscription.
Sounds too good?
Well, there are a few minor things:
- The signup and confirm pages aren’t too pretty but they work.
- The email you receive with the Newsletter attached is “branded”. We get this for free so a little promo is no big deal.
- Sometimes, as with many emails, the confirmation email or the newsletter email itself (at first) might end up in your Junk or Spam folder. Check those folders if you are missing something and add the address to your “safe” or “not junk” list.
- Some email servers with very strict admins block emails from this service. That is rare. Popular services such as Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook.com, BigPond etc are all ok but we can’t check every email domain. If you have this problem then try one of the other services or get back to us.
- The service has “bounce control”. This is good! A minor issue might be if an email bounces x number of times because your server decides to cark it over and over (a Buddhist Resurrection thing) then you might be removed from the list. You can go back and sign up again. Duplicate addresses are dealt with by the software.